COVID-19 and Pregnancy - An Update for our Patients
We would like to take this opportunity to update you about your maternity care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and assure you that our dedicated team of expert nurses, physicians and midwives are committed to providing safe and effective care to every patient who walks through our doors.
We deliver more than 10,000 babies a year, more than any other hospital in the Houston area.
More babies are born at The Woman's Hospital of Texas than any other hospital in the state. For over 40 years, we've been helping families grow one or more healthy babies at a time. Generally, we welcome more than 800 babies a month – a number that represents the trusting relationships we’ve developed with generations of women and families.
Qualified Labor and Delivery Staff
Whether you're experiencing a normal pregnancy or a high-risk pregnancy, we have the technology and medical expertise to provide you with outstanding care during childbirth. We offer the most qualified obstetricians and L&D health professionals in the region, with board-certified OBGYNs, neonatologists, and anesthesiologists on site 24-hours a day.
Whether you're experiencing a normal pregnancy or a high-risk pregnancy, we have the technology and medical expertise to provide you with outstanding care during childbirth. The Woman's Hospital of Texas has achieved the highest level of designation for maternal care from the Texas Department of State Health – Level IV Maternal – meaning we are equipped to handle the most complex, high-risk cases and conditions. We offer the most qualified obstetricians and L&D health professionals in the region, with board-certified OBGYNs, neonatologists, and anesthesiologists on site 24-hours a day.
Outstanding Labor and Delivery Hospital Facilities
Delivering at The Woman's Hospital of Texas means having the peace of mind that the rooms, units, and centers needed for specific obstetrical care are close by.
- Labor and Delivery Rooms
Our hospital has 35 labor and delivery rooms, six operating rooms used for Cesarean sections, and a 9-bed Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU). For those who prefer luxury accommodations, the Woman’s Suites feature hotel-like amenities.
- Maternal Assessment Center
With 13 private rooms our 3,800-square-foot Maternal Assessment center provides advanced services to women who need special care during pregnancy to manage specific conditions, such as the onset of labor, obstetrical and gynecologic conditions, and surgical emergencies. If necessary, the Maternal Assessment Center will provide the patient with direct admission to the hospital’s Labor & Delivery unit.
With 146 beds, our Intermediate and Advanced NICU allow us to offer the highest level of care available for newborns who are premature, critically-ill or have a life threatening health condition. A team of highly specialized and experienced staff cares for babies, including an in-house, board-certified Neonatologist and Neonatal Nurse Practitioners who are on site at all times and available 24/7 to care for your baby.
Customized Birthing Experience
Soon-to-be parents arrive at the West Tower. From that moment forward, we will make sure your birth experience is as individual as you and your baby. We put your safety and wellbeing first, while supporting your preference for all natural, epidural, or vaginal delivery, even if you’ve had a previous cesarean section. During a routine delivery, we can provide natural and assisted birthing services to support your plan.
A Safe Delivery
Most deliveries are problem-free, but if routine labor develops into an emergency, there’s no safer place to deliver than The Woman's Hospital of Texas:
- Patients receive continuous electronic fetal monitoring using GE Centricity systems. Those same feeds are also monitored at a central station by the Charge Nurse.
- Our Labor and Delivery Antepartum nurses are certified in fetal monitoring, neonatal resuscitation, and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialists expertly resolve the most serious complications, such as preterm labor, pre-eclampsia, and placenta problems.
- Should they be needed, anesthesiologists, neonatologists, and other specialists are available 24-hours a day.
- A NICU with the highest level of care available for newborns who are premature, critically-ill or have a life threatening health condition.
- Our "Code Pink" infant security system ensures the safety of your newborn alerting us to any unauthorized movement of your child.
A Time to Bond
We make mother-baby bonding a priority. As a designated Baby-Friendly Hospital, our policies and care practices meet the gold standard for mother and baby care practices related to breastfeeding.
- Newborns stay close to their mothers so that they can breastfeed as soon as they are ready.
- We support rooming in where healthy babies and their mothers stay together day and night for bonding and care.
- All of our postpartum nurses have completed several hours of breastfeeding education.
- Lactation consultants are also available 24/7 to discuss beneficial techniques and to help you through those first few breastfeeding sessions.